Our Coaching Philosophy and Player Management Guidelines

Philosophy

  • BSC coaches believe that it is important to develop both the individual and the team.
  • Player development is achieved by teaching players the technical, tactical, psychological and physical aspects of soccer in a manner that is both challenging and enjoyable.
  • Team development is achieved by creating a common appreciation amongst the players for hard work, healthy competitive attitudes, sportsmanship and teamwork.
  • Success is only measured in terms of player development.
  • A team is considered successful if it creates a positive environment for player development.
  • All decisions concerning the team must also be in the best interest of the individual players. A win for the team, is only a victory, if each player on the team had his or her opportunity to contribute and succeed.

Guideline: Playing Time

Every BSC player should play at least 50% of each game.  Coaches can reduce the amount of playing time a player receives if there is an injury, consistent absence from practice or violation of team rules.  The coach should meet with a player and his/her parents whenever a player plays less than 50% of the game.  This will give the coach and parent(s) the opportunity to assess the injury, behaviors or lack of practice attendance that caused the reduction in playing time.

Guideline: Player Positions

For a child to develop as a complete soccer player they need to experience and have an understanding for every position on the field. To help our coaches manage the rotation of players through the various positions, the BSC has set up the following guidelines:

  • 3rd and 4th Grades – No specialization at all.  Players will have the opportunity to equally experience every position including GK.
  • 5th Grade – No specialization at all.  Players will get the opportunity to equally experience every position except GK. Players that are interested in playing GK should rotate equally through that position. If less than 2 players are interested in playing GK then any remaining GK time should be shared amongst all players.
  • 6th and 7th Grades – Players can play 50% of time at their preferred position. The remaining 50% should be used to experience all the other positions except GK. In 7th grade GK’s can play 100% of time as GK.
  • 8th Grade – Players can play 75% of time at their preferred positions. The remaining 25% should be used to experience all the other positions except GK. In 8th grade GK’s can play 100% of time as GK.